Tuesday, August 27, 2013

HAIR WEEK : HEIDI HAIR HOW TO (aka princess leia braids)



Hair Week: Day 1. Let's do this!

I'm starting out with the Heidi Braids because they are so. dang. easy. Perfect for a "crap I woke up late Tuesday and need to do my hair in 5 minutes flat" moment. Of which I have had many. Damn you, snooze button. 
This hairstyle is called the Heidi, or the Princess Leia, or heck- throw some flowers in there and you can call it the Frida Kahlo

If you don't know who at least 2 or those 3 women are, get your Wikipedia on. Stat.

This hairstyle takes 4 steps.
The best part is it doesn't look like it only takes 4 steps- hence why no one will assume it's your "get up and go" hair. Hurray!

Let's start, shall we?

PREP:
 Before you start, brush out your hair well, and part down the middle in the back. I prefer having it parted to the side in the front because middle parts ain't mah jam. But if you want a middle part in the front too, go for it. ALSO: Have a lot of bobby pins handy. You might not use them all, but they'll be good to have just in case you need 'em.


MAKE IT HAPPEN:
Step 1: With your hair properly parted, braid your first side, tugging your hair away from your head slightly. This will keep you from having a big bump when you move to step 2.
Step 2: Fold/wrap the braid around the back of your head. Your next braid will go in front of it, so don't worry if it looks a little funky being back so far. Pulling it tightly, secure with 2-3 bobby pins. You'll have a lovely little side-rat tail-embrace it. 
Step 3: Braid the second half of your hair and then repeat step 2, just folding it in front of your first braid. Secure it well!
Step 4: This is clean up time. Make sure the side-rat tail is tucked/pinned in, and pin down any rogue bumps or flyaways that may have come up. Once you feel you're secure, you're good to go!!!
---------

This really is a pretty fool-proof hairstyle. Plus, the more you do it the easier it gets. 
TIPS:
* if you have thin/slippery hair: spray some hairspray in your hair first to help the bobby pins grab your hair
* if you have really curly hair: you may want to straighten the front few inches of your hair for a smooth look!
* if you have really short hair and are mad at me that you can't do this: sorry, grow it out girl!
* if you're lookin' for a fancy look: pin some tiny wild flowers along one side. 

So that's it!
Have you tried the 'Heidi'? 
Any tips or tricks you'd like to share?

xo, lp





*tune in every day this week for more #hairweek fun!
** if you try this out - share it on Instagram and tag me- @lpodlich, i'd love to see it!


For you pinnin' fools:


20 comments:

  1. Love this look on you! You made it seem easy and I think I just need to be brave and try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so easy, thank you so much for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. of course! i hope you try it out! if you do tag me on instagram @lpodlich so i can see it!!

      Delete
  3. This is awesome! Thanks for really breaking it down, I think this is definitely doable for me :)

    <3, Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute! I will be trying!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish my hair was longer so I could do this!! It looks amazing on you!

    xo,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awww thanks dear! you are to sweet! grow your hair out asap! ;)

      Delete
  6. This RULES! and I love that I can pin right from your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah this is so cute and easy! I wish I hadn't just chopped off all of my hair!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome!!! If you take a picture on instagram tag me so i can see it! @lpodlich -- i love seeing how people do different versions of it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think this hairstyle is both simple and beautiful, perfect for any outfit. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete

Each and every comment absolutely makes my day! Thanks for taking the time to share some love, stop by again soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...